28-01-2017 - 10:38 — 28-01-2017 - 12:44
Un de mes films préférés est "Scent of a Woman". J'ai toujours trouvé ce film admirable, celui avec Al Pacino.
Je rends ici la totalité de l'intervention du Lieutenant-Colonel Franck Slade, joué par Al Pacino, qui défend le pauvre Charlie Simms, joué par Chris O'Donnell. Regardez ce film pour sa fin explosive de répliques sans appel, une intervention qu'on aimerait entendre dans les auditoires d'université d'aujourd'hui au lieu d'entendre les discours lénifiants, empreints de haine douce, qu'on peut entendre, que j'ai entendus moi-même (Solvay, ULB, 1980 ou 1981, je ne saurais plus dire) à faire l'apologie d'une élite sournoise, intéressée, qui fait son lit dans la compétition abjecte et mesquine.
- Mr Simms, you are a cover-up artist and you are a liar
- But not a snitch!
- Excuse me?
- No, I don't think I will.
- Mr. Slade …
- This is such a crock of shit!
- Please watch your language, Mr. Slade. You are in the Baird School, not a barracks.
- Mr. Simms, I will give you a final opportunity to speak up.
- Mr. Simms does not want it. He don't need to be labeled “still worthy of being a Baird man”. What the hell is that? What is your motto here? “Boys, inform on your classmates, save your hide. Anything shorter than that we're gonna burn you at the stake? Well, gentlemen, when the shit hits the fan, some guys run and some guys stay. Here's Charlie, facing the fire, and there's George hiding in big daddy's pocket. And what you're doin'? You've gonna reward George and destroy Charlie.”
- Are you finished, Mr. Slade?
- No, I'm just getting warmed up. I don't know who went to this place, William Howard Taft, William Jennings Bryant, William Tell, whoever. Their spirit is dead, if they ever had one. It's gone! You're building a rat ship here. A vessel for seagoing snitches and if you think you are preparing these minnows for manhood, you better think again because I say you are killing the very spirit this institution proclaims it instills. What a shame! What kind of a show you guys put on here today? I mean the only class in this act is sitting next to me and I'm here to tell you this boy's soul is intact. It's non-negotiable! You know I know? Someone here, I'm not gonna say who, offered to buy it. Only Charlie here wasn't selling.
- Sir, you're out of order!
- Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too fuckin' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a flamethrower to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talkin' to? I've been around, you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen, boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothing like the sight of an amputated spirit: there is no prosthetic for that! You think you're merely sending this splendid footsoldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are… executing his soul! And why? Because he's not a Baird man. Baird man. You hurt this boy, you're gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, fuck you too!
- Stand down, Mr. Slade!
- I'm not finished! As I came in here I heard those words: “cradle of leadership”. Well, when the bough breaks, the cradle will fall and it has fallen here. It has fallen. Makers of men, creators of leaders, be careful what kind of leaders you're producing here. I don't know if Charlie's silence here today is right or wrong. I'm not a judge or jury. But I can tell you this: he won't sell anybody out to buy his future! And that, my friends, is called integrity! That's called courage! Now that's the stuff leaders should be made of. Now I have come to the crossroads in my life. I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard. Now here's Charlie; he's come to the crossroads. He has chosen a path; it's the right path. It's a path made of principle that leads to character. Let him continue on his journey. You hold this boy's future in your hands, Committee! It's a valuable future. Believe me! Don't destroy it! Protect it! Embrace it! It's gonna make you proud one day, I promise you.— Lt. Col. Frank Slade, (joué par Al Pacino) in Scent of a Woman
L'intervention, telle que je la publie, est telle que je l'entends. Elle pourrait être inexacte. Pour ceux qui souhaitent en savoir davantage, j'ai trouvé la page sur Wikipédia, anglais : Scent of a Woman.